Registration is now open.
Update 3/20/23: several options are already filled. If an e-cabin with a roommate or tenting don't work for you we encourage you to add your name to the waitlist for the housing option of your choice. There are always cancellations and we may be able to open a few more slots. Second half attendance is still open with both e-cabins and rustics.
Join us for our annual 7-day (8 nights) silent Zen sesshin with Zoketsu Norman Fischer at this beautiful church camp on the water on Samish Island in the Skagit Valley.
The retreat includes dharma talks by Zoketsu Norman and Nomon Tim, dokusan and practice discussion, sitting and walking meditation, and delicious vegetarian meals. Sesshin is a deep time for practice and reflection with the support of sangha and teachers.
Our Covid Safety policy at the time of the retreat will be required. Details will be sent by email closer to the time.
You may attend the entire retreat, or the first or second half. Second half attendance is only appropriate to those who have sat sesshin with us before. We are unable to offer other attendance choices. Signing up is making a commitment to be part of the retreat for the entire period you signed up for.
Full Retreat - Friday 5pm to Saturday at noon
First Half - Friday 5pm to Tuesday at 5pm
Second Half - Tuesday at 5pm to Saturday at noon.
Prerequisites & Requirements
This is a rigorous and structured experience. To benefit from being at Samish Sesshin please abide by the following requirements.
- You should have attended at least one full day formal meditation retreat before attending this 7-day, 8-night, retreat. Please do not register if you have never sat a full day of formal meditation (in Zen or other traditions is fine).
- If you have never attended Samish sesshin please start at the beginning by attending the full retreat or the first half, and do not attend just the second half. Orientation and instructions are offered at the beginning only.
- No attendance options other than the three listed above can be accommodated.
- This is a silent retreat without talking, reading, writing, computer or cell phone use. Please be prepared to follow this guideline fully.
- Following the full schedule is a core practice of Zen. Some alternate schedules can be arranged with the Ino in cases of health and other needs.
- Plan on remaining at Samish Island camp during the entire time of your sesshin attendance, not leaving for errands or appointments, etc.
Housing: Housing is provided with four options: E-Cabins, Rustic Cabins, RV Camping, and Tent Camping.
E-Cabins are more recently built with a full bath shared with one other room. E-Cabins are in short supply in this retreat. Please choose a rustic cabin if that is possible for you in order to leave the E-cabins for those with health challenges. Or consider sharing an E-cabin.
| e-Cabin Exterior
| e-Cabin Interior
Rustic Cabins - simple plywood cabins built in the 1950's. Camp style bathrooms in a separate building. Most rustic housing will be single (not shared), however if couples or friends are willing to share a cabin this can make a difference in accommodating everyone if the sesshin is full.
| Rustic Cabin, exterior
| Rustic cabin, interior
RV Site with Hook-Ups - are available.
Tent - you can bring a tent and camp on the lawn. A lower cost option.
Notes on fees:
1) Dana (teacher donations) is not included in these fees. Registration fees cover retreat costs with any extra to Red Cedar Zen Community for our ongoing expenses and costs. An opportunity to make teacher donation (dana) will be available at the site and is available at any time online.
2) Paying higher on the sliding scale enables us to offer scholarships at this retreat. In the registration process you first pick your housing and stay length which adds the base fee. Then an additional sliding scale funds contribution may be added on the next screen.
Dates and Cancellation
- May 15 - Last day to cancel with full refund. Full payment due.
- June 1 - Registration Closes. Last day to cancel with partial refund. Incomplete (unpaid) registrations will be cancelled at this time to make room for people on the waitlist.
See also the Red Cedar Cancellation Policy
Scholarships are available in the Rustic Cabins. They cover one quarter or one half of retreat costs, on a first-come first-served basis. To apply, select registration type option (o) or (p).
Samish Island Campground
We have rented the Community of Christ's wonderful camp at the eastern end of Samish Island for over a twenty-five years for our residential retreats. A wonderful place where sea meets sky.
11565 Scott Rd, Bow, WA 98232
Map and Directions
Getting to Samish
There is no public transportation to Samish Island. We are not providing an airport shuttle this year. If you need a ride please contact the registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do our best to help. We currently have at least one offer from a sangha member to pick people up at SeaTac.
You can get yourself to Samish from SeaTac airport in this way: (1) take the BelAire Airporter Shuttle to Burlington, (2) take Uber or Lyft to Samish.