Red Cedar Zen Community, 1021 N Forest, Bellingham Washington

                                                 


Red Cedar Zen - Board of Directors Meeting Minutes 

DATE: June 5, 2019
PRESENT: Bob Rose, Chris Patton, Tuli Candela, Tim Burnett, Hannah Sullivan
VISITORS: none

Full Value Contract

We commit:
  • to maintaining physical, psychological, and emotional safety
  • to working together to foster both group and individual goals; giving the group what it needs and individuals what they need.
  • to speaking and listening fearlessly to one another and fully talking things through.

Approve minutes: 

Board meeting minutes were approved for the May meeting with this addition:

“On January 1st, 2019 the membership of the board officially changed from Ken Oates, President, Christopher Patton, Vice President, Talus Latona, Treasurer, Bernadette Prinster, Secretary and Tuli Candela, Member at Large, to become Bob Rose, President, Tuli Candela, Vice President, Bernadette Prinster, Treasurer, Hannah Sullivan, Secretary, and Christopher Patton, Member at Large.  This change was made by the standard process of Red Cedar Zen Community of recruitment by the board to fill the position, followed by a comment period from the membership at large and then installation on the board if consensus is met.  Furthermore, the board has decided, for the purposes of establishing a brokerage account only, that John Wiley will be listed as Vice President for the purposes of that account, due to his position as a member of the Finance Committee.”

Agenda was approved

Treasurer’s report: in Bernadette’s absence, the single discussion item was simply that our hiring of Ed was a great idea, and that we are very happy with his work.


Old Business

Our lease and relationship with BIMS:
We’ll meet in August with BIMS’ board. A general discussion took us through wondering how best to work with BIMS, how long a lease to negotiate (1-5 years), wondering about our goals for the future and what our mutual needs might be over the next five years. Adding a Sunday sitting may be something we want to do. How would this fit with sharing the zendo?
Response from Bob Penny about an estimate of value of our improvements over the years: he recommends hiring a neutral 3rd party, the cost not to exceed $350. Motion was made and consensus reached to go this route.

ACTION ITEM:We will ask Bob Penny to find such a person, hire and proceed.
*Follow up on membership workgroup: a letter will go out sometime after Samish instructing our members to change their payment method (going onto Wild Apricot and switching to autopay). In this way we’ll be able to more fully utilize Wild Apricot. Bob Rose encourages the board to model this behavior.

New Business

Water bill: while the water bill is not our responsibility, a couple of big bills have come in; one came when the stream in the garden did not refill. The second high bill was computed when the garden water was shut off. We are officially concerned, as per the lease, all repairs are our responsibility (though not the water bill). Bob suggests looking at our lease and possibly changing one section to fit more appropriately.
ACTION ITEM: Bob Rose to inquire.

Scholarship review: What is our expectation of recipients? Since the purpose of these scholarships is to enhance sangha education, a motion was made and passed to have recipients attend their first possible board meeting following their event to present a brief report, and a proposal for how they will present to the sangha.

Practice committee report:
Tim reports fielding questions to Practice Leaders prior to bringing changes to the committee, is looking at clarifying workgroup revisions (see document). Edie will join as the second PL, and Chris Burkhart will stay on committee.

Tim presents a report from an interfaith climate change group (see document). He finds the group to be robust, with good connections (for example, to City of Bellingham). A representative to guide our participation is sought.

Transparency: in order to continue this, we will post all meetings on the website, with the invitation to add items within the following two weeks. We’ll also post draft agendas, and all minutes.

ACTION ITEM: Hannah will meet with Ed to learn how make it happen.

NEXT MEETING: after a break in July, we will meet again on August 7 at 5:30.

  

Respectfully submitted, Hannah Sullivan, secretary

 

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software