1. Software issues and discussion: We have been able to reduce our email list to around 300, after sending out 3 separate emails to see who is interested in receiving our emails. This will qualify us for the lower monthly fee of $70 when the new Wild Apricot fees start in September. The board voted to pre-pay our current rate of $50 per month for the next 24 months, which will save a total of $480. Tim will send the payment to Wild Apricot.
2. Sangha Stewards: John and Kate have accepted the nomination to be sangha stewards. John will check with the Dispute Resolution Cent er about training for the sangha and for the sangha stewards.
3. Board support of workgroups: The board will report twice a year on how each workgroup is doing. This will include information about current projects, how the members are doing and any needs the workgroup may have. The schedule is as follows:
August--February Welcome, Library
September--March Finance (Bookkeeper,Clerk, Rent Manager)
October--April Board, Annual Fund, Gardens
February--September Practice Committee, Zendo and Programs, Tech and Website
4. Board Member Job Descriptions: We reviewed what has been done and made suggestions and revisions. When all the job descriptions are complete, they will be posted on the website.
5. Chris Burkhart has left the board. We thank you for your service as Vice-President.
6. A financial report for the first 6 months of 2015 was reviewed. The report is posted on the website.
7. The board continues to discuss ways to simplify our activities. We will look at installing a water fountain instead of using bottled water and may consider seeing if people outside of Bellingham can take some jobs currently done by local sangha members. Any ideas sangha members have in this area would be welcome.
1. Building lease: Our lease is up at the end of September. We do want to stay in the building and will contact the landlord to began negotiating a new 3-5 year lease. Prior to signing a new lease, we will check with BIMS to see if they are willing to continue to share the building. Tim and Edie will contact the landlord and began negotiations.
2. The board began talking about our vision for the next 5-50 years and the board's role in encouraging that discussion. Once the board has done more preparation, we want to involve sangha members. We will have a sangha conversation about this on both Wednesday evening July 29th and September 30th. Here are some questions to think about;
What can we expect our membership growth to be in 5 years? in 10 years? in 20 years?
What kind of members can we expect to have? Part time? Full time volunteers?
Do we want to be landlords?
Do we want to go into debt and if so, what is our upper limit?
Should we do a capital campaign to get a nest egg before we began to look to buy?
What kind of practice do we want to have in the future?
What does our sangha want? What is your vision for the future?
respectfully submitted John Wiley board secretary
Next meeting date: Wednesday September 9, 5-6:30 pm
respectfully submitted John Wiley