1.Ken Oates has accepted the invitation to join the board as vice president. Thank-you Ken. Sangha members can submit opinions about this to any board member.
2. Renewal of the lease: We have agreed verbally with our landlord, Riaz, to a 5 year lease that increases 3% each year. The lease will be signed this week. We are still negotiating with BIMS about the amount of their monthly contribution which willreflect the increase in rent and include sharing some of the work that is done regularly at the hall and a fee to help cover the cost of materials like cleaning supplies and toilet paper. BIMS does want to share the hall for the next 5 years.
3. Recently, some people who don't use the hall have been spending time in the back garden area and using the outside outlet to charge cells phones etc. Some of them have been belligerent. As a safety measure, the Bellingham Police Department has advised us to fence the back garden area and post a no trespassing sign. We turned off the outside outlet and will continue to monitor the situation as part of deciding what to do. If you notice any activity like that, please let a board member know.
4. Volunteer Organizational Chart: Edie has updated the workgroups and board supervisors or each group. The board is reviewing and discussing the changes. When the work is finished a new version will be posted on the Red Cedar website.
5. The board is continuing to review and revise job descriptions for each board position. When finished, they will also be posted on our website.
1. The board reviewed the work and membership of the finance committee as part of the twice yearly work group support. The committee is doing well and nearly finished with the 501c3 application.
2. There have been some glitches in the computer system for scheduling building use. All scheduling requests should now go through Scott Allen, our Building Rental Manager, via his email, which will be available on our website.
3. Overnight use of the dharma hall by non RCZC or BIMS groups was discussed. The board OK'd this use on a case by case basis for a fee of $25 per person per night. Mindfulness Northwest will offer the hall for overnight guests during an upcoming weekend training.
4. The board began the annual review of Tim's housing stipend. The discussion will be continued over the next few meetings, including clarifying what factors we consider in setting the amount, such as annual retreat income, membership donations etc.
5. The board was reminded that Terry Thompson will teach a class on Monday, 9/14/15, 7-9pm, on how to use our new website.
6. Tim is updating our annual events calendar including dates for all upcoming dharma events. It will be online and also posted at the hall.
Next meeting date: Wednesday October 7th 5-630pm.
respectfully submitted John Wiley