Red Cedar Zen Community, 1021 N Forest, Bellingham Washington

Red Cedar Zen - Board of Directors Meeting Minutes 

DATE: April 18, 2018 5:30 PM
PRESENT: Ken Oates, Chris Patton, Bernadette Prinster, Talus Latona, Tuli Candela, Tim Burnett
ABSENT: none
VISITORS: none

Encouraging Words

Full Value Contract

We commit:
  • to maintaining physical, psychological, and emotional safety
  • to working together to foster both group and individual goals; giving the group what it needs and individuals what they need.
  • to speaking and listening fearlessly to one another and fully talking things through.


Old Business

Fill Board Positions: 

Talus made a motion to accept Tulie Candela to Director-at-Large and Bernadette Prinster as Board Secretary.  All approved.

Filled Bookkeeper Position:

Talus reports that Mihr Douglas is currently in training for the bookkeeper position. 

Family Promise Project

Tim met w Sarah, local coordinator for the Bellingham Family Promise network to discuss possibilities for RCZC to become involved in the community family housing project. The Board agreed that this is a project worth exploring more fully. Next step is 1) find a point person to continue the exploration and seek more information about how RCZC could best serve and 2) identify a core group of members for the point person to work with in planning and coordinating activities. Tim suggested Judith Koontz as a possible point person and Tulie is also interested in the initial planning and coordinating. 

Investing

After input from sangha members and discussion @ the annual meeting, the Board agreed that we need to determine our timeline for possible real estate acquisitions prior to deciding how to invest our money.   Tim will speak with the landlord regarding the possible future rental contract. Current contract ends in 2022. 


New Business

Volunteer Lists:

Ken raised the question about how current the list of RCZC volunteers and workgroups is and how to more quickly match new members who sign up to help into volunteer slots where help is needed. Tim suggested that something like a volunteer coordinator could be helpful and Chris Patton agreed to look at this and work with Terrell Thompson. A new Family Promise workgroup will now be created. 

Bike Rack:

The bike rack will remain downstairs. Ken will speak to John (Wiley?) regarding leaving the bike rack downstairs at the back of the building and Ken will make a sign upstairs to let bike-riding members know that the rack will now live downstairs on a permanent basis. 

Parking:

With the addition of the large apartment building on Forest, parking for RCZC has become more challenging for many members. Bernadette agreed to explore contact and possible conversation with neighboring lot-owners (churches, dentist office, extension building) about use of their parking lots on certain days and hours. Some discussion about suggesting to members/reminding members to leave existing spaces open for people who are not able to walk from further distances. 


Next Board Meeting: May 9, 2018 at 5:30 PM

  

Respectfully submitted, Bernadette Prinster

 

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software