Red Cedar Zen Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
DATE: April 19, 2017 5:30 PM
PRESENT: Present: Chris Patton, Jaren Hoppe-Leonard, Talus Latona, Ken Oates, Anne Mikkelson, Tim Burnett
Encouraging Words: Sympathy, compassion, joy and equanimity--the four unlimited
virtues--move her heart ~ Empress Wu Zetian: "Daughter of Heaven"
Full Value Contract
- to maintaining physical, psychological, and emotional safety
- to working together to foster both group and individual goals; giving the group what it needs and individuals what they need.
- to speaking and listening fearlessly to one another and fully talking things through.
Registration Process and Class Fees
Finance Committee will discuss any changes in registration process or class fees.
- Procedures for Building Related Emergencies: Who to contact in a building emergency. A list of people capable of responding to an emergency will be posted in the entry. Scott Allen is our building manager but he is not located near the Hall. Ken will request that Scott train three volunteers--Ken, Talus and Jaren--regarding the nuances of our building systems--plumbing, alarms, etc.
- Budget for Transition Ceremonies: Board agreed to the expenditure of $1000 to cover meals, flowers and gifts for TIm's and Norman's ceremonies on April 29 and 30. Note: Jaren is writing an article for Northwest Dharma News on the Stepping-down and Stepping-Up ceremonies.
- Confidentiality Agreements: Terrill has worked out a confidentiality agreement document to be signed by the Membership Committee. The Board discussed which additional RCZC positions should be included in signing the agreements and where the documents should be located. Ken will add essential positions that will be included on the list.
- Work Groups: Terrill requested the Board's consideration as to how we can effectively nudge new members into the fold and then engage them in a timely fashion when they volunteer for a specific workgroup. Suggestions included: Streamline the recruiting process, such as offering position only when deeded; send quarterly notifications about available positions. It was noted that group leaders are listed on the website.
- Sangha Conversation/Social Activism and Next Steps: There has been positive feedback in the online forum on our website as a place for sharing social justice opportunities. Thank you to Marilyn, Dale and Jaren for their presentations of Sanctuary City and Community-to-Community activities. The Board discussed what, if any, are the insurance and other legal limitations for RCZC with respect to on-site social activism. Should we have a permanent workgroup for activism or leave it as it is? The Board will continue to study this question. All scheduling for activities held by RCZC is the responsibility of the Practice Committee. Jaren will continue to inform the Board regarding ongoing activism opportunities. Tim will pursue the task of installing a bulletin board in the entryway for the purpose of posting upcoming programs and other relevant events.
- Investment of Sangha Funds: The Board discussed the idea of investing excess funds. Among the possibilities mentioned were CDs, bonds or money market. The Finance Committee will discuss this subject further.
- RCZC Annual Fundraising Appeal: Chris presented a "sketch" of his vision for the 2017 annual fundraising appeal. The Board agreed that changing the 2017 date of the appeal to July or August and next year and subsequent years closer to Buddha's birthday. Board agreed that direct mail and follow-up calls may be more effective than a website appeal. The Appeal Workgroup may need to recruit one or two volunteers to help with the fund drive. Tim volunteered to create calligraphy thank-you cards for all donors and members.
Next Board Meeting: May 17th at 5:30
respectfully submitted, Anne Mikkelsen