Red Cedar Zen Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
DATE: March 8, 2017 5:30 PM
PRESENT: Ken, Talus, Jaren, Chris, Tim
- to maintaining physical, psychological, and emotional safety
- to working together to foster both group and individual goals; giving the group what it needs and individuals what they need.
- to speaking and listening fearlessly to one another and fully talking things through.
- Update on membership retooling (Anne and Talus): Membership coordinator Terril is away on business. On his return Talus will meet with him to examine how the MoneyMinder financial software might be used to provide the requested membership payment notifications to members.
- Annual fund (Chris): Board decision to move away from end-of-year when competing with everyone else (non-profits) to Spring, the time of Buddha's Birthday (and tax returns). But this year that's too quick on the heels of the last one so June/Aug this year. Plan of action for next meeting. Ken will send Chris samples of old communications.
- Sanctuary work group (Jaren): Jaren, Andrea, Dale, Mairlyn meeting Friday. Jaren will email update back to board this weekend. Next sangha conversation on March 29 will need this to feed back to the members who raised it at the annual meeting.
- BIMS relations (Talus and Ken): The dharma hall finance report that was generated at the request of BIMS was reviewed. It is hoped this will put the issue to rest. Talus will document how this information was derived for discussion at next rent negotiation. There's no mush in the financial numbers, they are straight from quickbooks.
- Report on the Zendo and Programs Committee (Jaren): This was group overseeing events throughout year. It has evolved to cover many events by different individuals, with some consistency. There isn't much interest in keeping a standing committee going. Need to keep prepared for rotations of positions such as ino.
- Upcoming Sangha conversation: Wednesday, March 29. Review of and feedback on annual meeting. Give people time to speak. Updates on annual fund, membership tracking, activism.
- Close of practice retreat review: It was rock'n. Norman happy. New people felt welcome. Kate did great with her parts in it.
- Cancellation policy. This new policy refined during the meeting by consensus.
- Registration and class fees: Our class fees are a hodgepodge and our offerings are expanding. Looking for a standard for coming up with fees.
- Types of events:
- Classes, Part-day Retreats and Workshops - Probably no or little payment, especially for members.
- In-House Retreats - Multi day, food served, RCZC has costs. Do we charge by cost or value?
- Encourage people to show up. So, e.g. Intro to Zen as free outreach.
- Make membership more attractive
Next Board Meeting:
April 19, 5:30pm to 6:30pm
respectfully submitted, Talus Latona