Red Cedar Zen Board of Directors Meeting Minutesrelationships, process, values and mission
DATE: February 5, 2014
PRESENT: Tim Burnett, Talus Latona, Jeff McKenna, John Wiley
Full Value Contract
review agenda and set time limits
1. The suggestions from the sangha for the guidelines for ethics and clear communications document are being added in a new revision. Once that is finished, a link to the document will be emailed out to all members for a chance to make comments. Once comments have been reviewed, the next step will be board members putting together a final document and then asking the Dispute Resolution Center staff to review it and make comments/suggestions.
2. The board voted unanimously to accept Chris Burkhart's offer to join the board as vice president at -the end of practice period. Thank you Chris--we look forward to working with you.
3. Lauren Anderson has accepted the bookkeeper position as a paid internship and Marti is training her. Welcome Lauren.
1. Our annual appeal has raised just over $3,000, thanks to the generosity of 17 donors. Thanks also to Ken, Matt and Terry for putting the appeal together.
2. Hosting retreats and retreat income. Retreats are an important part of our practice and a source of revenue for RCZC, and they require a lot of work from sangha members. After some discussion it was suggested that the practice committee/program committee meet to look at this issue and make recommendations.
3. Tim requested an increase in the monthly housing allowance (Spiritual Director's stipend). When the board set the amount at $400 per month, we recognized that the amount was much lower than average monthly housing costs, but it was what we could afford at the time. The board would like to offer an increase and asked the finance committee to review the request and make a recommendation. (Note that Tim's stipend is in the form of a housing allowance to take advantage of a tax code provision by which pastors may receive compensation up to the cost of their house tax-free.)
4. The board discussed how to disperse the annual appeal money ($3,000) which has been designated for teacher support. We propose 1/3 of the money for Tim, 1/3 for other RCZC teachers and 1/3 in a fund used to compensate visiting teachers. We would like to hear from the sangha on this so please let board members know your opinion.
5. Talus will look in to whether to rejoin the Northwest Dharma Association and give the board his findings and recommendation.
6. Tim will investigate the costs and benefits of joining Twining Vines - an group of Suzuki Roshi lineage sanghas hosted by SF Zen Center.
The next board meeting will be Wednesday March 12th at 530pm
Respectfully submitted John Wiley board secretary