Red Cedar Zen Board of Directors Meeting – (date)
Board Minutes April 12, 2013
Jeff, Tim, Talus, John
VISITORS: Edie Norton
full value contract
1. We discussed with Edie Norton changing our membership drive to January, and having our annual fund drive starting in mid-November. Changing the fund drive to mid-November takes advantage of year-end giving , which is more common. We will send the annual fund appeal to those who are not members and friends, and will also be dropping the friend designation. The purpose of the fund drive could be emphasized, such as supporting a fund for teachers, contributing to dharma hall expenses, or purchase of a building in the future. Designing the fund drive will happen later in the year. Changing the membership drive to January makes it clearer that membership is from January to December. We will try to do these drives with less expense and effort required.
The board agrees to make the recommended changes---fund drive starts mid-November, membership drive, early January.
1. About $3000.00 is needed to finish the back garden and pay off existing bills. We already have a $1500 donation toward that amount, and some labor volunteers from BIMS, so the board will try to move the project along by organizing fundraising and work parties.
1. Dave’s Produce Dave Lynch has generously volunteered to bring in eggs and vegetables he grows on his farm in the county, and donate the proceeds to the dharma hall. We need a volunteer to coordinate this---talk with Dave about what is going to be delivered, suggest prices, make a donation box and post information about the program , make occasional announcements about what is available, and collect money and get it to the clerk to deposit. If you are interested, you can notify any board member.
2. John was confirmed as board secretary
3. We are making progress on an ethics policy and developing a conflict resolution procedure. The Whatcom Dispute Resolution Center may help us establish a structure for resolving differences and train the whole sangha in how to use it. This will be explored in the next meeting.
4. Obtaining 501c3 (tax exempt status) for Red Cedar Zen as a separate entity. Some items are needed from the board to continue this work, and Talus will send out an email about what is needed from the board.
on relationships, process, values and mission
of good value
upholding the contract
sangha on the horizon