PRESENT: Jeff, Talus, Tim, Edie, Joan
full value contract
Our Guest's Business - None
1. Thank you note to Andy's Lawn Care, our lawn care volunteer. Talus brought the board a card to sign expressing our thanks to Andy who generously offered to mow our front lawn this past year as a way to support our practice (though he, himself, does not participate in our practice). Members might consider using him for home lawn care.
2. Door code. Talus reported that a new door code will be established by February 1. All who use the door code will be notified, and there will be a month's overlap with the old code before the latter is deleted.
3. Annual Fund Campaign. Edie updated the board on the annual fund letter, to go out in April or May and to be followed by a special donor meditation event, possibly in early June.
4. Membership Drive. Edie reported that, as of 1/4/12, membership numbers total 62 Members and Friends, with 8 new members and 6 new friends. (These totals have grown a little since 1/4/12.) Pledged total as of that date was $21,057.
5. Federal Tax Status. Talus reported that the Bellingham Dharma Hall 501(c)3 subcommittee on tax status meets on Jan. 25. RCZC will be submitting our application for federal tax exempt status this year.
1. Matching Gifts policy. Tim reported that the company Intuit, which is matching a gift by one of its employees to RCZC requires a Nondiscrimination Policy statement. Tim proposed a draft statement, which the board edited and approved. Tim will send it to Intuit.
2. Board Meeting schedule. Due to the winter Practice Period, which starts January 18, the board decided not to meet in February. Meetings will resume with the March 7 meeting.
3. 2012 Budget. Talus presented the RCZC draft budget to the board. Both expenses and income are expected to rise a bit over the 2011 budget, but this year's income is projected to be 8 per cent over our total expenses. 2012 income is projected at $75, 060; expenses at $67,848. In making the budget the Finance committee anticipated that projected membership would be effectively flat. However, it looks like membership may increase a bit. The Finance Committee also recommended that we increase our retreat fees by 10 per cent in order to help keep us in the black. This will also help with our offer to members (as a benefit of membership) slightly lower rates for retreats held in Bellingham.
The board made the following adjustments to the proposed budget: Anticipated income from members and friends adjusted upward from $14,900 to $17,000; annual fund campaign budget up from $350 to $450; RCDH Furnishings and Equipment up from $250 to $600 (largely to fund kitchen equipment that will facilitate retreat cooking (small freezer, immersion blender, pots, cloths, etc.).
The board approved the budget with these changes. Talus will present it to the Annual Meeting on Saturday, Jan. 7, 2012.
4. Annual Meeting Planning. The board spent the rest of the meeting planning the agenda and roles for the Annual meeting, to be held Saturday, Jan. 7, 10 am to noon. Jeff will send all members an email invitation.
on relationships, process, values and mission
of good value
upholding the contract
sangha on the horizon
The meeting was adjourned at 6:30 pm. NEXT MEETING: MARCH 7, 2012 - 5:15 pm
Edie Norton, Board Secretary