Dear RCZC Members, Here are the minutes from the November Board meeting. Your interest is appreciated.
Red Cedar Zen Board of Directors Meeting - Nov. 2, 2011
PRESENT: Jeff, Tim, Talus, Joan, Edie
full value contract
review agenda and set time limits
Our Guest's Business
Marti's comments under Financial Report
The board reviewed a number of brief items, including progress reports on projects:
The board also reviewed our philosophy about volunteering: Our workgroup structure encourages volunteers to define and carry out tasks as autonomously as they are comfortable doing.
We respect our volunteers' ability to carry through on the tasks of their function, but we also encourage them to ask for help when and if they need it. As our membership is growing, our needs and opportunities are always evolving. Thus, modification and fine-tuning of our roles is somewhat continuous. We encourage everyone to speak up with new ideas for what to do, to invite new people to help with tasks, and to ask workgroup leaders and board members for help when things aren't going as smoothly as is desired. Multi-directional communication is key!
1. Financial Report. Please see the website for the quarterly report, the membership letter and attached explanation of our annual income and expenses. Talus reported that throughout 2011 we have been about $200 per month in the red. Thereby our membership drive goal of bringing in $200 more per month will help us break even until the fall of 2012 when our monthly lease will decrease and the rental payment by BIMS will increase, giving us a little more leeway than we have had to date.
Marti noted that our 2011 budget contains the budgeted income line item of $1000 from fund raising, which we did not do this year; she asked if we want to eliminate this line item in our 2012 budget. Because we are creating an annual fund drive, which will occur in April each year, the board decided to retain this line item and evaluate the income amount during the budgeting process.
Regarding 2011 income, the board was gratified to note that $15,926 came from membership and friends' donations; plus there was $2853 in miscellaneous donations. We thank all donors!
2. New Monthly Programs. Tim reported that the practice committee has agreed to sponsor a Public Program on the first Saturday of each month, starting at 9:30 and including zazen instruction, zazen and kinhin, and a speaker. Marti has agreed to be the public program coordinator. We will invite Buddhist teachers locally and from around Washington to speak. The program will begin in February, with Tim as the first speaker. In March, Norman will be the speaker (as he will already be here for sesshin). The board believes that this program will be a great community outreach and give many more people the opportunity to learn about Buddhism. At a future meeting, the board will address the budget needed for this program.
The board agreed to initiate a second program, a monthly Sangha Work Day on the third Saturday of each month. Usually these work days will be for Saturday mornings only-such as the Garden work days starting in November. Sometimes, if there is a major need, we may extend the work period beyond the morning. Tasks will be deeper cleaning than is usually done, workgroup tasks that can be more efficiently and enjoyable accomplished by working together, and other building and practice maintenance tasks.
3. Sangha Voices. On the fifth Wednesday in November (11/30) following zazen, we will have another of our sangha conversations. The board is open to suggestions for topics, which can be placed in the Suggestion Box in the lobby or communicated to a board member or brought up spontaneously during the conversation on the 30th.
4. Annual Meeting. The board set the date for our annual meeting. It will be the first Saturday in January - 1/7/12, 10 am to 12 noon with a potluck lunch to follow.
5. Dharma Hall Association Annual Meeting. Although this organizational entity eventually will be phased out, it continues as a nonprofit shelter for us. The meeting this year is on Tuesday, Nov. 8 at 6:00 pm. Tim has drafted the required updated description of our organization for this meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:30 pm.
NEXT MEETING: Wednesday, December 7, starting at 5:15, downstairs. Visitors are welcome.
Edie Norton, Secretary