Red Cedar Zen Board of Directors
BOARD MINUTES Wednesday April 17, 2010
PRESENT: Tim Burnett, Joan Dow, Don McClary, Jeff McKenna.
and Kate McKenna, Marti Bartlett, Talus Latona.
full value contract
- to maintaining physical, psychological, and emotional safety
- to working together to foster both group and individual goals; giving the group what it needs and individuals what they need.
- to speaking and listening fearlessly to one another and fully talking things through.
Our New Business
Helping a homeless member - Most of this meeting was a discussion of recent sangha efforts to support a homeless member of the community. Much of the discussion not recorded to protect privacy and feelings. General "lessons learned" were discussed around
- clear communication - maybe we should all study non-violent communication to further thist
- kinds of helping - we help our members and others to ask for it as best we can but within the context of our purpose as a spiritual practice organization (we can't start a homeless shelter at this time, for example)
- shared or "core" values - is it clear to everyone who comes here that we share values of kindness and respect as elucidates in the precepts? Tim mentioning that a previous sangha effort created a "Core Values" document which is on the website (here:http://www.redcedarzen.org/zen_mission.html) but that this document is not being kept alive if just on the website. And all agreed that the precepts are a good guide in themselves.
Door Codes - The Building Manager (Talus Latona) was encouraged to rotate the door codes once a year.
FOLLOW UP: Talus has created a new code, in addition to the old one. Once people are notified of the new code and comfortable with it he will deactivate the old one.