Red Cedar Zen Board of Directors
minutes Wednesday, November 4th 2009
full value contract
Our Guest’s Business
Practice and Zendo Workgroups: Barb, Talus and Dianne shared with the group their partnering styles including successful job sharing. They reviewed the items that made Samish a success, and brainstormed for the future. Talus also reported that we at one time had a rush of new renters, but some have backed out. Dianne also noted that she is looking to take on some registration tasks.
Our Old Business
RCDH Logo: Update by Brian.
Action: Brian will consult with Talus. He will continue to work on this project as time allows..
Comment Cards: Update by Brian. Brian will make the appropriate changes to the comment card and send the draft to the board. Brian will also construct the drop box complete with instructions.
Action: Brian will continue to work on this project as time allows.
New Treasurer/New VP: Jeff reported that we have an individual interested in the VP position, but a job share may be necessary to allow for travel absences. We also have a possible treasurer, who is currently engaged in other volunteer activities with the Building workgroup. These would need to be taken over by someone else first. The building activities are mostly administrative in nature not skilled labor.
Decision: As a strategy, the board will review the volunteer interest survey question on the membership form and contact interested parties accordingly.
Action: Tim will add the volunteer interests to the membership list.
Our New Business
Financial Reports: The financial report was reviewed and it looks like we are $11,00.00 in the black. We are basically breaking even with the income from members/friends/rentals. There is little room for a reduction in any revenue, but there is money in the bank and some sustainability on the horizon.
Finance Committee Recommendations: The Finance Committee passed along the following recommendations that were reviewed by members present at the meeting.
1. That RCZC lean towards being fiscally conservative, keeping a minimum of 6 months of lease cost in savings and consider those funds off limits for new projects (about $15,00).
2. That we recognize in the past year we have been able to add to our savings in large part due to income generated by retreats.
3. That we recognize that Tim deserves to receive monetary recognition for all his work including work that makes retreats successful.
4. That we recognize that we are able to give Tim a housing allowance in 2009 and still keep a minimum reserve in savings.
5. That we give Tim a housing allowance of $400/mo or $4800 for the calendar year of 2009
6. That we recognize that Norman Fischer contributes greatly to the well being of the sangha and propose gifting him $500 dana for all of his 2009 efforts.
Decision: Dana for Norman Fischer approved especially considering his efforts and the draw he carries to our successful retreats.
Decision: Stipend for Tim on hold with a review in January.
Decision: The board will make a counter proposal to the finance committee asking that we keep a reserve of 6 months of total expenses in savings not just the lease amount.
Action: Jeff will send the Finance Committee the Board’s counter proposal.
BDA use of RCDH -50% discount: The group proposed that we offer a 50% discount for Bellingham Dharma Association events at Red Cedar. The Buddhism in Bellingham was a BDA event. Offering this discount would allow the BDA to break even on the lecture series. The group discussed how the lecture series is important for the community and for Red Cedar itself
Decision: 50% discount approved for BDA events including the 2009 Buddhism in Bellingham Lecture series.
on relationships, process, values and mission
of good value
upholding the contract
sangha on the horizon