Red Cedar Zen Community, 1021 N Forest, Bellingham Washington

Red Cedar Zen - Board of Directors Meeting Minutes 

DATE:January 2, 2019
PRESENT: Bob Rose (acting President) Tuli Candela (Vice President) Chris Patton ( Member-at-large)  Tim Burnett (ex-officio) Ken (ex-officio
ABSENT: Bernadette and Hannah
VISITORS: Terrill Thompson and John Wiley

Encouraging Words

Full Value Contract

We commit:
  • to maintaining physical, psychological, and emotional safety
  • to working together to foster both group and individual goals; giving the group what it needs and individuals what they need.
  • to speaking and listening fearlessly to one another and fully talking things through.


Old Business

Update on Treasurer 

John Wiley as a Finance Workgroup member was present on Bernadette’s behalf to discuss the new RCZC Board Treasurer Job Description. Since it’s such a big role and there are many technological aspects to keep track of, the Board decided it’s too complicated of a role to rely on only volunteers to maintain. Tim proposed hiring a bookkeeper who is tech-savvy and Bernadette, as Treasurer, can oversee the bookkeeper position and will continue to learn the Treasurer role. Everyone was in agreement that Tim’s idea was fair.
Over the next few months John and Bernadette (who are the Finance Work Group)  plan to see if some aspects of the bookkeeper position can be simplified. Ken proposed that John and Bernadette also look into how much it will cost to hire a bookkeeper for approximately 10 hours per week. John also said that if we were ever to apply for a big loan in the future we need to conti improving records of our financials.
John also presented the definitions of budget line items for the upcoming 2019 Budget process. He also noted that Red Cedar is in compliance with the State of WA and federal government with all filing. 

Membership

Terrill came to talk about what he and Desiree Webster have been doing in the Membership Workgroup.
The Membership Campaign is underway with a new Become a Member flier posted in the lobby and downstairs. They also sent out an email to Sangha members encouraging people to consider what the sangha means to them.
Terrill plans to speak with the Board at the next meeting to discuss the specifics of the workgroup when Bernadette and Hannah are present. He will focus on how new members join and continue to pay. 

Ken proposed that the Special Interests category on the registration signup is unnecessary. All agreed. Tim deleted it. 

Makeup of Board

Ken will continue to attend meetings in an ex-officio capacity to provide support during this transition. 

Tim’s Performance Evaluation

Because some of the questions on the evaluation were specific to Practice Committee, the board discussed that next year it might be good to get the input of the Practice Committee to get a larger sampling of people in different roles.
The evaluation will be uploaded into the minutes (copy and paste) so the Sangha can see it. 

Building update

Tim met with Alborz Monjazeb, the son of the Dharma Hall landlord and operator of the Majestic to discuss the future of our space. He is more than willing to continue to rent to us and has no plans to sell the space. The board discussed trying to get a lease longer than 5 years, possibly 10. 

Next Board Meeting:

Wednesday, March 6th at 5:30 PM

Next Annual Meeting:

Saturday, March 16, 2019 from  9-11AM

  

Respectfully submitted, Bernadette Prinster

 

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software